GOD, PART 1 | Wk 11: “The God Who Dwells Pt. 2”
Pastor Mike Overstreet | 11.24.2019
Message recordings available at: https://vimeo.com/element3
Temple Creation in the Ancient World
- Space created for the divine presence to reside in
- Garden planted out in front
- Space filled with abundance & holy artifacts
- Divine Presence would dwell in the Temple
- Priests would work alongside the divine presence to care for the Temple
In Genesis – Creation is understood as God’s Temple space.
Tabernacle in the Wilderness
- Mishkan – abode, dwelling space
- Design, construction, installment covers 11 chapters of Exodus
Revelation 21:3-4 (NIV)
And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
Revelation 22:2b (NIV)
On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations.
The Mosaic of the Exodus
- God hears the cries of His people & liberates them
- God gives the Israelites His personal name & covenants with them
- God leads, provides, & forgives His People
- God dwells in a Tabernacle / Temple space amongst His People – a pocket of Eden
JESUS’ NEW EXODUS
Gospel of Mark – begins with Jesus’ baptism → testing → disciples → Kingdom announcement → healings – reenacting the Exodus Story.
Gospel of Matthew – Jesus goes up on a mountain to teach his disciples a new way of living in the world → reenacting Moses coming down from Mount Sinai with the Law.
The Lord’s Prayer is an Exodus prayer.
Jesus reorients God’s Temple dwelling space around himself.
When Jesus dies on the cross → the veil separating us from the Holy of Holies rips in two.
WE, as followers of Jesus, become the new Temple & dwelling space of God
1 Corinthians 3:16 (NIV)
Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?