OPEN YOUR EYES | Lent 2021 | Wk 2: “Misery Loves Company”
Pastor Mike Overstreet | 02.28.2021
Message recordings available at: https://vimeo.com/element3
Matthew 23:13 (NIV)
13 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people’s faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to.
Matthew 23:15a (NIV)
15 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert…”
Matthew 23:15b (NIV)
“… and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are.”
The term sometimes translated as “Hell” covers three different words meaning different things appearing 12 times.
The most common – Gehenna – the Valley of Hinnom.
- Real place associated with child sacrifice, rejecting God’s ways, & what’s gone wrong in our world.
- Some believe it was a dump on Jesus’ day.
- Used for a variety of purposes.
Sheol in the Old Testament
- The grave – where everyone goes eventually.
- Sometimes used to describe two different ways of living
- Life that leads to life
- Life that leads to death.
James 3:6 (NIV)
6 The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.
Embracing Kingdom Integrity in Our Invitation
- Enter the Kingdom & find its healing first.
- Share the Kingdom in relationship & honor people’s stories.
- Stick to your story – it’s all you have to give.